The Library eResources Accessibility Portal (LEAP) pilot launched in April 2020, providing access to the LEAP Portal for the 24 Ontario college libraries. The LEAP portal is a self-audit tool that allows library staff at participating institutions to evaluate the accessibility of library eresources,and provides a growing repository of accessibility assessment reports that library staff can review to help make acquisition decisions, support library users, and advocate for accessible eresources. To create or view assessments, please visit the LEAP portal.
The LEAP service was developed to assist college libraries in upholding accessibility best practices and becoming compliant with the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)’s January 1, 2020 deadline for ensuring the accessibility of electronic resources (IASR, 2011, s. 18(3)).
Training and Documentation
For training on the LEAP service and portal please review the following webinar recordings and slides. Thank you to our Training and Competency Working Group for developing and delivering this training: Shannon Hayes (Fleming), Brenda Mahoney (Algonquin), and Michelle Haugner (Conestoga).
LEAP Training - Introductory Webinar (Feb 2020)
LEAP Training - Advanced Webinar (March 2020)
For technical issues or questions about the LEAP platform or the LEAP service, please contact Celeste Ramnarine (email@example.com)
For questions that require accessibility expertise, such as questions about how to identify specific criteria when evaluating a resource, please contact the LEAP Community Listserv.
LEAP Steering Committee
The LEAP Steering Committee (LSC) is responsible for providing guidance and oversight for LEAP. Their mandate is to
- provide strategic direction for LEAP, develop best practices and set service priorities
- provide support for the service, including developing assessment priorities annually
- support the work of LEAP Leads, serve as experts and project champions locally and within the college system, supporting a community of practice
- Joy Muller (Seneca) - Chair
- Madeleine Crew (Sheridan) - Vice Chair
- Benjamin Kahn (Centennial)
- Brenda Mahoney (Algonquin)
- Kimberly Daigneau (St. Clair)
- Kent Reynolds (Niagara)
- Mellissa Forget (St. Clair)
- Shannon Hayes (Fleming)
- Celeste Ramnarine (OCLS) - ex officio
LEAP Project Team
This pilot would not be possible without the support of LEAP project Steering Committee, LEAP Working Groups, the AODA Committee for College Libraries, and CLO. Thank you to all of those who have supported this project.